Friday, January 11, 2013

Twilight Saga: New Moon Soundtrack Review

Hey,

Ready for the next installment in my throwback series? Today, I'm reviewing the soundtrack to Twilight Saga: New Moon. Yes, I realize that it is from 2009 and it sounds totally random, but Twi-hard or not, you have to admit the music on the soundtracks was amazing. So, without further ado...

1. Meet Me On the Equinox by Death Cab for Cutie- A smart move by the execs to get Death Cab on the soundtrack; these guys have a massive fanbase. And, Death Cab never disappoints. Leading in with that recognizable riff and Ben's strong vocals carrying the song, it's not hard to understand why Death Cab is so popular. They are some of the best musicans of our generation.

2. Friends by Band of Skulls- Love Band of Skulls! Between their hard rock edge and throwback vocals, I'm sold. The song has a very dangerous, rebellious edge that reflects Bella's (the constantly whining main character, not me...I'm as different from that Bella as can be) frame of mind in the book/movie.

3. Hearing Damage by Thom Yorke- The lead singer of Radiohead was another good pick; Radiohead's "15 Step" was played in the end credits of Twilight even though it was not featured on the CD. I'm not a big Thom Yorke fan, though I like this song. I love the electronica-like intro, sick drum beats, and the overall disoriented feeling.

4. Possibility by Lykke Le- Easily the most depressing song on the soundtrack song, Lykke Li's song is full of distortion, beyond sad lyrics, and her fantastic voice.Good pick.

5.  A White Demon Love Song by The Killers- Oh, The Killers. Another amazing band. The keyboard lines, guitar arrangements, and Brandon's lilting voice make this one of the best songs on here.

6. Satellite Heart by Anya Marina- Anya Marina gained some notority for her cover of T.I's song "Whatver You Like," which was featured on Gossip Girl, and she has a stunning voice. It sounds like she's partially singing and partially whispering, and, for some reason, it works.

7. I Belong To You by Muse- Gotta love Muse. They really cannot do anything wrong. Matthew's voice is so unique and paired with the instrumentation (that piano line makes me melt!), this song really stands out.

8. Roslyn by Bon Iver & St. Vincent- The first time I heard this song, I thought somehow the Gregorian choir had gotten put on the album by accident, but nope, it's just some super moany vocals. It's pretty, if you can get past the fact that it sounds like something you'd hear at a funeral.

9. Done All Wrong by The Black Rebel Motorcycle Club- Good moody song. The lead singer sounds as depressed as Bella does in the movie, so it fits perfectly. Love that guitar in the backgroud too!

10. Monsters by Hurricane Bells- I like this song in the movie, but outside of the movie, it's just a little too weird for me.  The lead singer's voice rubs me the wrong way.

11. The Violet Hour by Sea Wolf- One of my other favorites on here. The song is fantastic because of the poetic lyrics, the lead singer's crazy good vocals, and the guitars that allow the gorgeous melody to come out.

12. Shooting the Moon by OK Go- Like Thom Yorke, I'm not a bad fan of Ok Go (though I do love their music videos) but I LOVE this song. The lyrics detail faking the moon landing, which sounds like something OK Go would do, and that percussion won me over the first time I heard it. :)

13. Slow Life by Grizzly Bear- I love how this song climaxes, the voices meld, and the dark/light themes that constantly battle each other. Super good.

14. No Sound But the Wind by The Editors- I usually skip over this track, but I like it a lot more than I thought I did. The lead singer's voice is SOOOO deep; I was a bit taken aback. Like, whoa! Where did that come from? Crazy voice aside, the keyboard line and minimal instrumentation is what makes this track stand out. and makes me feel bad for skipping. :)

Alright, that's it for this week! Comment, Follow me on Twitter, and send me an e-mail with your thoughts!

Until then,
Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment