Friday, March 23, 2012

Lyric Analysis

Hey,

A quick heads up: Next Saturday night, I am going to a Young The Giant/ Grouplove concert, and I will write a review on Sunday. No post next Friday; it's coming Sunday.

Tonight...a lyric review. Essentially, I will disect the lyrics and look for a deeper meaning.

Artist of the night: Death Cab for Cutie with "Stay Young Go Dancing"

Alright, so this song was on their most recent album "Codes and Keys." It's supposedly about Zooey Deschannel who the lead singer, Ben Gibbard, was married to for close to a year. They are now divorced...but the lyrics are still beautiful.


Life is sweet in the belly of the beast
In the belly of the beast
And with her song in your heart, it can never bring you down
It can never bring you down

Lost in a maze of a thousand rainy days
Of a thousand rainy days
But when I heard her voice, oh it led me to the end
Yes it led me to the end

Cause when she sings I hear a symphony
And I'm swallowed in sound as it echoes through me
I'm renewed, oh how I feel alive and through autumn's advancing
We'll stay young, go dancing

As the music plays
Feel our bodies' sway
When we move as one
We stay young
(Go dancing)

Life is sweet in the belly of the beast
In the belly of the beast
And with her song in your heart, oh it can never bring you down
It can never bring you down

Cause when she sings I hear a symphony
And I'm swallowed in sound as it echoes through me
I'm renewed, oh how I feel alive and through winter's advancing
We'll stay young go dancing
Stay young go dancing
Stay young go dancing


First stanza:
If you recall one of DCFC's earlier album had a song about California, in which Ben referred to the state as the "belly of the beast." Now, that he has found a reason to like California--his wife--he sees it as a nice place to live. "With her song in your heart" probably refers to Zooey singing--she's half of She and Him.

Second stanza:
Basically, when he feels lost, he turns to Zooey and it's all better.

Third:
When she sings, talks, or just cares about him, he feels renewed and free. She is important to him and loves him, as he loves her.

Fourth:
Um, they're dancing, I suppose. It's pretty surface here, y'all.

Fifth/Sixth: repetition of the beginning

I love the song. Number one, Ben's just..amazing. I love him.
Number two: catchy base line.
 Number three: the music video is totally adorable; it made me cry.
Number four: DCFC knows how to make repetition catchy without seeming like a copy-cat, or seriously unmotivated. They're musical poets.

Overview: This is a catchy, cute song detailing Ben's (previous) enamored relationship he had with Zooey. It's a nice, simple, memorable love song, something DCFC is not known for. Don't believe me? Check out Narrow Stairs and their early works; those guys needed a bottle of happy pills.

Anyways...good song, good lyrics. :)

Until next week,
Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment