Friday, August 31, 2012

Bubblegum Pop

Hey,
It's been 3 weeks since I gave a Top 5 PLaylist, so here's another installment. No theme here, just random, like always. :)

In no particular order--because I'm too much of a softy to rate these songs--my weekly playlist...

5. Heart Skips A Beat by Olly Murs
I realize this guy is hardly indie/unknown, given the fact that he tried on the X-Factor in England and toured with One Direction, but, this guy has pipes. The original version is mediocre, but check out this acoustic performance. He has a great voice and I would love to see Olly push his vocals and explore other types of music besides bubblegum pop.

4. Bronte by Gotye
I love the soft, Bon Iver-esque instrumentation. Wally's (AKA Gotye's) vocals just lightly waft over the instruments, complenting never dominating, serving as another mechanism in this beautiful machine. The poetic lyrics remind me ever so slightly of a lullaby, coupled with the graceful, lilting tempo. I respect you, Wally. I do. I really wish this song would make it on the Top 40, but that's just a silly thought. The majority of people who listen to the radio want one catchy line they can post on Facebook with an immature emoticon and some club jam. Not beautiful simplicity.

3. Treading Water by Alex Clare
Alex Clare has gained significant notority for his song "Too Close," but I am willing to argue that "Treading Water" is a much better track off his album Lateness of the Hour. "Too Close" is good; I'm not saying that it's bad, but I like TW better. I'll explain. :) Reasons: the romantic, bittersweet lyrics detailing a failing relationship, the gentle beginning leading up to a gorgeous Dubstep-style climax, the way Alex blends several musical styles (which one could point out he did the same thin on TC), the way he transitions from a roaring chorus to a soulful second verse, and how the song just goes full force right to the very last second.

2. Get Higher by Paper Tongues
I found these guys a few years ago and remembered them the other day when I was listening to another band (Imagine Dragons) whose voice reminds me of the Paper Tongue's lead singer. I love the rock influences, the lead singer's unrelenting powerhouse vocals, the religious-without-being-righteous lyrics, and the guitar lines. I'm so glad I rediscovered this song as it brings back some great memories from JUnior High.

1. Sleep Alone by Two Door Cinema Club
These guys are one of the best alternative bands right now, up with MuteMath, Panic! At the Disco, and Young the Giant. I honestly cannot find anything to complain about with this song; all I hear is a fantastic, complex song that represents exactly what I love about alternative music.
A. The guitar lines that carry the song
B. Tempo changes
C. Volume changes
D. Confusing, poetic lyrics
E. A dinstinctive vocalist
F. A talented drummer
G. An infectious chorus
H. An original sound
I. Utilizes various instruments besides guitar, base and drums
J. Makes me smile

Alright, that about wraps it up for this week. :)
In a couple of weeks, I'll be seeing MuteMath in concert (2nd time!!!!!) so as soon as that happens, you'll get a new review of this tour. :D

Until next week,
Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment