Monday, May 7, 2012

Makeup Post/ Five Songs Rocking My Spotify Playlists

Hey,
I just wanted to do a quick post to let you all know what I'm listening to...


Because I'm crunched for time, here's my proposition: tonight I will talk about 5 songs on my playlist and then on Friday, I will do a proper review: Gotye's newest album, track-by-track.

Now, my five fav songs:

In no particular order:
1. Nothing in My Way by Keane
This is an older song, from their 2006 album Under The Iron Sea, but I just discovered it today. I had on my Gotye Pandora station and this came on; I was frozen in place. Some songs just strike me, and this one was no exception. I love the powerful piano hammering, the organ, the drum patterns, and Tom's beautiful tenor. I love the minor key tonality and the beautiful harmony. Not going to lie, I'm a sucker for almost any song in the minor key. Especially songs in the minor key + a powerful vocalist= heaven for my ears.

2. Diet Mountain Dew by Lana Del Rey
yeah, yeah, she's controversial, talentless, stiff, just a pretty face, rich, spoiled, stupid, dumb; I get it. I don't know why, but I'm drawn to her voice. I like the 50's swagger and her husky sound. It's different. Seriously, Katy Perry doesn't sound like this; I kinda think she sounds like a robot who inhaled a bunch of helium. Anyways, Diet Mountain Dew has nothing to do with the song, really, I don't have any idea what she's talking about, but she does have some good one-two-punches. It's good songwriting.

3. Killer by The Ready Set
Ah, Jordan Witzigreuter (I know that's wrong, but I'm running with it) I love him. He's the dude behind TRS,  just him and a manager/producer, obviously, but you catch my drift. I love his editing techniques. Yes, I think he uses autotune, editing, reverb, and audio effects. Seeing as he actually has real talent, isn't swollen with arrogance, and doesn't do stupid choreographed dance moves, and writes his own music, I respect him. Oh, unlike OneDirection, he plays instruments! Yes, it's crazy right? Now, I realize I'm contradicting myself and setting a double standard by saying it's okay for him to use autotune but not the Biebs. Yeah, but Jordan's not some puffed up, cookie-cutter musician. He has talent, sounds just as good live as in a studio, and he's creative. If the Biebs wrote his own crappy music, I might respect him a little bit more, but probably not. Jordan's just a cool guy and he can sing without his effects; he uses it to give him some edge, and to set him apart from other musicians.

4. Thanks For Your Time by Gotye
I love him. I love, love,love,love,lovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelove him. He's amazing, and I'll explain it in more detail on Friday night. I chose this song from his second album "Like Drawing Blood," because it cracks me up. Not in like, OMG, I'm doubling in laughter, I need to dry my tears, but it's in more like a funny ha-ha sort of way. But because the entire song is about dealing with customer service on the phone. We all know how freaking complicated that is. So, I love the track in the background, the steady beat, the "ah-ah-oh's" repeating through the back. The clips from different customer service places are a nice touch. It's smart. His building frustration which is demonstrated with the vocals growing louder and the irritated lyrics. I like how he's trying to show it from their stupid side like, "that's understandable/isn't that understandable." Those companies tend to either have ridiculous robots or messages that talk down to you like you're 8 years old.

5. Payphone by maroon5
 I knew this song before it was big. I called it. I've been listening to this song since the day after it came out.  This song is "meh," with simple lyrics, boring chord changes, an easy drum pattern, and too many vocal fillers on Adam's voice. I used to really like Maroon 5, but their new stuff just feels really mass-produced. And all those Pop listeners are freaking out because I'm being mean, and I approve of Jordan's effects, but not Maroon5's. I just know Jordan uses those in all of his songs like they are another instrument. Maroon 5 and Bieber rely on them. I really just posted this song because I wanted to prove that I predict the hits. I've heard most songs before they get big. ask me what I'm checking out and in a few months, it'll be huge. Take "Somebody I Used to Know," I was listening to that like back in January. Same thing with "We Are Young." :)


Until next week,
Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment