Saturday, May 4, 2013

The British Invansion of the 21st Century- The 1975

Hey,
Sorry for going AWOL. School has been absolutely crazy lately and it will be until about June 4th, unfortunately. Despite all this, I am going to do my best to get a post up every week. In order to make it easier on myself, I am going to most my weekly posts to Saturday nights, instead of Friday nights.

Okay, so all that aside, this week I am going to be talking about a band I discovered several months ago via We Are Hunted, that is beginning to receive some significant radio airplay, considerably on SiriusXM's Hits 1 channel: The 1975. They are a cool band from Manchester (that's in England, in case you didn't know) and their song "Chocolate" is well on its way to becoming a big hit. So, this week, I am picking my top 5 favorite The 1975 songs.

3. Chocolate- The song you've most likely heard before. From what I've read, it's very likely this song is about partaking in illegal activities, and other people who don't see them as illegal and dangerous, but those who are involved see it as normal. For the most part, I think most people are so caught up in the ridiculously catchy chord progression, the singer's barely understandable vocals, and the guitar lines, that no one really realizes the dark subject matter of this song. It's an oxymoronic song, I think: dark lyrics with light instrumentation. It's a genius trick, because only the people who really care about the music and the quality of it are going to research and try to figure out what the song contains. Genius.

2. Undo- I particularly like this song because it's so different from all of their other stuff. It has an ambient, chill, almost Bon Iver feeling to it. I normally discredit bands who use autotune, but here it works, as it is used in an artistic sense. It fits with the slower, almost sloth-like feeling. The light percussion complements the track; if it was any heavier, I don't know if it would flow quite as well. Very cool.

1. Sex- Yeah, this sounds like it's going to be some disgusting song about two people getting down, but it's not. The title comes from the line "all we seem to do is talk about sex," but that is the extent of it. The song is more about a boy and girl and the girl has a boyfriend, but the first boy wants the girl, but she's already is a relationship, and so the boy kind of settles for a verbally promiscuous relationship instead of a physical one because she can't decide who she wants, so she picks both. Deliciously tangled. Lyrics aside, the instrumentation is also awesome. The guitars are a constant presence in the background and the percussion sets a nice, steady feeling for the song, so even when the lead singer is crooning about his unrequited love, the song goes on, never pausing for air. Excellent.

So, if this sounds like your sort of music, you should definitely check out The 1975.

Until next week,
Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment