Friday, September 28, 2012

Like Indie Pop? If so, then you'll like Get Cubs


Hey,

Once again, Twitter, my faithful friend, has been a valuable resource. Thanks to it, I found a super-cool British band called Get Cubs.

These four guys remind me of exactly what made me fall in love with alternative music in the first place. First, it’s originality. Writing a song is one thing, but it’s completely another to make each song sound similar, yet different in ways that one does not always expect. It’s more than just changing keys, adding in a bass solo, and going, “hey, look, we’re original.” It takes real musical ingenuity to craft an original, new sound. Next, an infectious melody. Sure, every person who listens to music at one time or another will say they’ve had a song stuck in their head, but it’s something entirely different to have a melody or a simple line that no matter how hard you try, it’s there. Take one of songs “Hold On,” for example. The outro has been stuck in my head for the past three days, because of the simple, haunting beauty of the line. It’s not that the song is just catchy (which believe me, it is!) it’s that you can tell some thought went into it, a little love, a little attention. Music should make the listener get goosebumps, make them have to listen, make them want to listen, and bring them a slice of happiness. Thirdly, varying musical instruments. Get Cubs, in their song “Hold On,” features varying types of percussion and a very Mexican-sounding trumpet section, further cemented by the sombrero wearing trumpeter in the music video. It’s simple, really, just a trumpet, but it catches the listener on surprise, like “whoa, where did that come from?”. Fourthly, creativity. I’ve touched on originality and musical ingenuity, but creativity is a little different. Originality has to do with creating something new, something different, and musical ingenuity is essentially the same thing. Creativity encompasses a band’s ability to write lyrics, create a real song, not just music, and how they accomplish it. Some examples of Get Cubs’ creativity are found in the song “Lucy.” (Side note: I am referencing the acoustic performance, which I believe highlights their talent even better than the original. I am, after all, a sucker for acoustic performances :D) the lyrics are gorgeous, Josh’s voice melds perfectly with the other instruments, and the simple percussion is the cherry on top of the musical sundae. J Also, anytime a band adds in a xylophone, they have my respect. Good choice, Get Cubs. J

So, enough generalization. I’m in love with Get Cubs because of the fact that they sound just as good in studio as they do live. Not enough musical acts these days can boast that. I applaud bands, Get Cubs included, who have that ability. It’s a shame that it’s so rare these days, but it’s the truth. I digress, like I always do. J I love the emphasis their music places on the guitar and bass lines. I admire Daryl, the drummer, for creating sick beats and refusing to just sit there and bang his drums like so many “bands” these days. My favorite songs, thus far include the acoustic, stripped down performance of “Lucy” and the essential indie track “Plastic Parade.” If you like British-indie-pop, you’ll love “Plastic Parade.” In “Lucy,” the boys bring raw emotion to a striking song. In all of their songs, their energy is commendable.

Lastly, I have to mention the music video for “Plastic Parade.” It cracks me up every time! The guys just have such a goofy, light-hearted approach to the video. I love it. The music industry is full of musicians who take everything way too seriously, so it’s nice to see a group of musicians who just have fun with it, like they do with their music.
Get Cubs is one of my favorite indie groups right now, and I’m happy to share them with you! So, check them out here, follow them on Twitter here and like them on Facebook here
Until next week!
~Bella





    

No comments:

Post a Comment