Friday, March 9, 2012

Happy Post

Hey,
I have a surprise, y'all...for the second week in a row you are getting 2 posts!


Top 5 Songs of the Week:
5. Your Ghost by Greg Laswell. I love this song. It was created following, what is arguably, the best recipe for beautiful music. Here it is: 1/2 cup Cover-That's-Better-Than-The-Original-Song (the song was originally recorded by Kristin Hersh back in 1994); 1/4 cup deep baritone, four tablespoons simple percussion; one teaspoon gentle piano; equal parts powerful guitar and strings; one cup perfect guitar accompaniment. Yum.

4. Holdin' on Together by Phoenix. These guys are French. They write nonsense lyrics. I have no idea what they are saying 99% of the time. . They are what I like to call "Genre Bouncers." I have a feeling you know what I'm saying; they rarely/never stay in one genre, electing to be alt/pop/dance/house/indie/mainstream all at the same time. It truly works.

3. Acoustic Kingdom Underground EP by Matt Duke. No, this is not an individual song, but an entire EP. This was released back in 2009, but I think it's still relevant. And you can't tell me differently, because this is my blog. ;) Just kidding. Anyways, this is EP is filled with 6 tracks from his first album that he re-recorded with just his voice, a guitar, and a few other strings here and there. It's beautiful. Some of his "skippable" tracks are made into something goose-bump-inducing.

2. Up Up Up by The Givers. I first heard this song at Younkers one night when I was shopping...good place to find music, quite honestly and made sure to remember this song. It's obnoxious, catchy, and cute all at the same time. Kind of like dogs and some people...haha But, really, this song is worth checking out if you like simple drum-lines, alternating female/male vocals, and songs that repeat words.

1. The Longest Road (Deadmau5 Remix Radio Edit) by Morgan Page ft. Lissie. This track came on my 3OH!3 Pandora station and I stood frozen in my bedroom, just mesmerized by the vocals. Turns out, Lissie is quite the talented lady and has been big for a while. Things I like: the minor key, the thumping bass (just like Dev, I like my bass down low. I'm not serious; I just couldn't resist), and the tinking sound in the back. It reminds me of Ellie Goulding, and lo and behold, Lissie and Ellie toured together.

So, that concludes my weekly playlist. Enjoy and check them out.

Until next week,
Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment